Motor Home Project Part II: Reupholster Dinette Chairs
As soon as we finished reupholstering the valences, Paul started in on re-covering the dinette chairs. We have two upholstered chairs we use every day and two wooden folding chairs we store under the bed and only use when we have company.
Although the upholstered seats on the folding chairs still looked new, the two everyday chairs were pretty worn.
The first part of re-covering the chairs was to remove the old fabric. Like the valences, there were hundreds of staples; and like the valences, Paul wanted to preserve the pieces of material so he could see how they were cut, fit and folded when it came time to put on the new fabric.
Paul had prepared a detailed cutting chart for the material for the chairs just like he did for the valences. He used the old pieces of fabric to double check his sizes and then proceeded to cut all the pieces of new material using the ¼" plywood on the bed as a cutting table.
Then came the assembly. Paul put the new fabric on in the reverse order of taking the old fabric off.
One of the last items to be assembled was the band around the bottom edge of the seat. Margery sewed up new welting for the top edge of the band using her trusty Singer Featherweight, then sewed the welting to the material for the band.
The band gives the chair a little more detail and a more finished look rather than just wrapping the fabric for the seat down around the bottom and stapling it underneath.
We simplified the seat back and eliminated the sewn ribs because we would have had to sew through both the fabric and the foam. We were confident the Featherweight had enough power to penetrate through both the foam and the fabric, but we didn't think the Featherweight be able to feed the thick foam through the presser foot.
Our final task was to make new throw pillows for the sofa. We had ordered enough of the fabrics we used for the valences to make two pillows. The pillows have the solid color on one side and the tropical leaf pattern on the other. Margery sewed the pillows on her Featherweight leaving an opening big enough to get her hand inside to stuff them with polyfill. After the pillows were stuffed, she sewed the opening shut.
The upholstery project took us about two weeks to complete working off and on between doing other things. We're pleased with the results.
Now that we have finished our big upholstery project, we need a little relaxation. However, we also have a couple more restaurants we want to hit and a little sightseeing we want to do while we're in Summerdale, so stay tuned.