Topsham, ME - Events of Sunday, August 25, 2013
Boothbay was first settled in the early 1600s as an English fishing camp. It was later abandoned, but was re-settled in 1730 and incorporated as Townsend in 1764. It was renamed Boothbay in 1842 for the hamlet of Boothby in England.
Boothbay Harbor continued to grow. By the 1880s, it had a fish oil company, an ice company, a cannery, a fertilizer manufacturer and two marine railways. The harbor itself could provide shelter for up to 500 vessels in bad weather.
In 1889, the harbor area was incorporated as a separate community known as Boothbay Harbor. During WWII, Boothbay Harbor had a small shipyard that built minesweepers for the U.S. Navy.
Today, the Boothbay Harbor region is a thriving summer tourist area. It is especially popular as a yachting destination.
Our friends, Janice and Dave, had taken a day trip to Boothbay from Bar Harbor a while back. They ate at the Lobster Dock, which they recommended, so that's where we ended up.
The Lobster Dock has a variety of sandwiches starting as low as $6, and there are dinners that range from about $15 to $27 (surf 'n' turf). There are also à la carte seafood items (clams, mussels, fish, crab cakes) available. We split a lobster roll ($16), a pint of fried clam strips ($9) and an order of sweet potato fries ($6).
The lobster rolls are available warm with butter or cold with mayo. We had already had a lobster roll with mayo, so this time we tried butter. It was yummy, but some of the lobster pieces were a little chewy. The clams were good, too, but nothing can compare to the Ipswich Clambake Company.
The lobster Dock is located right along the harbor, and we could watch the boats come and go from our table.
The Lobster Dock is located on the less-crowded, eastern side of the harbor. We could see lots of activity going on over on the western side, so we hopped in the car and headed over to the western side after lupper to check it out. As is typical in a small tourist town like this, parking was hard to come by. There were a couple of pay lots, and there were also a good bit of free, on-street parking; but it took a little looking to find one of the free spaces that was empty. We drove around a little bit and found one a little out of the way near the Tugboat Inn.
We walked the main street lined with quaint (but pricey) shops.
While walking the streets of Boothbay Harbor, we came across a nicely restored Triumph TR3. Paul had one of these cars when he was in college. The TR3 was produced by Standard-Triumph in England from 1955 to 1962. Paul's was a '57. The TR3 produced from 1955 to late 1957 had a narrower grill and no exterior door handles.
As we walked down near the waterfront, we saw three labs chasing tennis balls into the water. The owner had a gun that she pumped up with air to shoot the balls. One of the dogs (the one looking the wrong way) never seemed to be able to get a ball.
From the waterfront, we headed back to the car and drove back to Topsham Fairgrounds where we relaxed with an evening of TV. We had more sightseeing planned for the next day. Stay tuned.