Shed Project: Install Shelving and Flooring
Wauchula, FL - Events of January 11 to Monday, January 16, 2017
It took several days after we had gotten the materials for the shelving and flooring for Paul to find the time to get started on the installation. We had a couple of meetings at the clubhouse to attend, several errands to run, the final electrical hookup to the shed to complete, and a few chores to do like dumping our holding tanks and recharging our water softener.
Paul was finally able to get to work on the shelving last week on Wednesday afternoon. The back wall of the shed has a nominal length of 12 feet so Paul decided to install the shelving in three 4-foot sections.
The first step was to move everything stacked on the floor by the back wall to the other side of the shed.
The second step was to install the vertical support tracks. After the supports were in, it was a simple matter to mount the shelf supports at the desired height for each shelf and to then snap the shelves into place on the supports. Paul got all the shelves up on Wednesday, but it was too late to even start trying to figure out where to put things so he called it a day after taking some photos of the progress.
Freeway had his annual checkup at the vet on Thursday, so Paul didn't get anything done in the shed. We're happy to report Freeway is in excellent health.
On Friday, Paul started to load the shelves adjusting shelf heights as he went. The shelves are more filled than they normally would be because we unload some things from the storage bay of the 5th wheel while we're in Florida to make them easier to get to. Even so, everything fit with a little room to spare for future needs. However, we still want to sort through all the stuff and weed out things we will probably never use, but that's a project for another day.
Once Paul got as much stuff off the floor and onto the shelves as possible, he moved the stuff that was left to the back half of the shed and started filling screw holes and joints in the front half of the floor in preparation for the installation of the vinyl flooring. He used a Portland cement-based filling compound.
After all the screw holes and joints were filled on the front half of the floor, Paul applied a coat of sealer/primer on Saturday morning. The sealer/primer is supposed to improve adhesion. Paul then started in one corner and began the process of laying the strips of vinyl flooring after lunch on Saturday. It was a process of peel...
There was a bit of cutting and fitting in the area of the doorway, but the rest went fairly quickly. There are, however, a couple of things that aren't quite as easy as the "peel and stick" name of the flooring makes it sound. For one thing, the backing paper sometimes rips without being completely peeled off. You then have to hang on to the sticky vinyl strip with one hand without allowing it to touch anything while trying to get the peeling process restarted with the other hand.
Speaking of the sticky adhesive on the back, that creates a problem of its own because when handling the strips, it is unavoidable that you will have to touch the sticky adhesive. When you do, some of it will transfer to your hands. Then when you position the strips down on the floor, some of the adhesive on your hands will transfer to the front surface of the flooring. Fortunately, it can be satisfactorily be removed with mineral spirits without damaging the finish.
Minor problems aside, the installation went fairly well with Paul being able to get the front half the floor done on Saturday afternoon. We ended up just relaxing on Sunday afternoon. We had planned to watch the Steeler/Chiefs game, but the game was postponed until evening because of ice storms in the mid-west. The performance of the Steelers wasn't stellar, but they managed a narrow win primarily due to errors by Kansas City.
On Monday, Paul moved all the stuff that was sitting on the floor in the back half of the shed to the front half and started patching and filling the back half. Filling and patching the back half went quickly not only because of the experience Paul had gained in doing the front half, but the front half was actually more like 2/3 instead of half so the area left to do in the back was smaller. Paul got the patching done and the primer applied before lunch.
After a lunch break that gave the primer time to dry, Paul started laying the vinyl strips in the back of the shed. This also went more quickly than the front half, and the floor was done by 4:00.
With the shelves and floor done, it is time to move on to other things. Stay Tuned.