Two Projects - One Small and One Big
Wauchula, FL - Events of Monday, February 13 to Monday, February 20, 2017
Back in January, we wrote about replacing the old 8' x 10' shed that was originally on our site with a new 10' x 12' shed. We have been using the folding metal step we normally carry in the 5th wheel for the shed ever since the new shed was delivered.
Once the shelves were installed inside the shed and the skirting was installed on the outside, Paul got busy building a permanent step. There's not a lot to it - it's just a box made from treated lumber that's screwed to the base of the shed. Paul used composite decking for the top surface because composite decking is more stable than wood decking. He used regular wood decking for the step he built for the shed at Blueberry Hill, and it cupped upward because of moisture from the ground being trapped under the step. The color of the composite decking is a pretty good match for the color of the shed don't you think?
Now on to the big project. We have been wanting to enlarge our concrete parking pad ever since we first arrived at the co-op last fall. The way the original concrete was poured, they left a 4' by 12' rectangle in the back corner that was unpaved. That's where our 5th wheel tires should have gone, but since there was no concrete there we had to park the 5th wheel 3 or 4 feet closer to the shed than we wanted to.
Since the RV was parked so close to the shed, we originally wanted to enlarge the concrete before we replaced the old shed with an even bigger one, but most of the concrete contractors wouldn't return Paul's calls. One actually did come out and gave us a quote, but when Paul asked for references, we never heard from him again.
Since we were having trouble finding someone to do the concrete, we decided to go ahead and order the shed hoping we would eventually find someone to do the concrete. Our neighbor two sites down also wanted to get some concrete work done on his site, and a few weeks ago he finally found a contractor that seemed to be conscientious and reliable called M. & E. Precision Construction. The price we got from M. & E. looked pretty good so we and our neighbor both gave him a green light.
In addition to adding the missing rectangle to the back of the parking pad, we also decided to widen the driveway to give ourselves more room to get in and out of the truck without having to walk through the wet grass when we went somewhere early in the morning.
Last Monday, the contractor began preparing our neighbor's site and our site for pouring concrete. Working off and on over the next few days, they finished the digging and building the forms on both sites.
Last Thursday was the big day. The contractor finished putting the finishing touches on the forms in the morning, and the first of two concrete trucks showed up around noon. They began pouring our neighbor's concrete. Then it was our turn.
Working concrete is back-breaking. Not only is the stuff very, very heavy, but you're also under a time crunch to get it all poured and smoothed out before it starts to set. The crew worked their tails off until after 5:00. Even though they were all young guys, they looked like they were beat at the end of the day.
On Monday, the guys came back to remove the forms. We still have to fill the along the edge and plant some grass to finish it up. We'll be parking the truck off to the other side for another week or so to be sure we don't accidentally drive on the new concrete prematurely.
It will also be at least another week before we can move the RV over onto the new concrete that was added near the back of the site. We can hardly wait.
We have been hanging around the site for most of the last week and a half because of all the work that was being done. After the concrete was finally poured last Thursday, we took a drive to Bradenton on Friday. We'll tell you what we did in our next post.