Christ Church on St. Simon's Island was established in 1736 as a mission of the Church of England. Rev. Charles Wesley conducted the first service. The church built on this property in 1820 was almost destroyed during the War Between the States. The present building was erected on the same site in 1884. Christ Church was an integral part of all the historical novels written by Christian writer, Eugenia Price.